Foundation History and Further Development: Panjora St. Anthony’s convent is located in at Nagory, Kaligonj, Gazipur. Nagory is one of the ancient parishes in Archdiocese of Dhaka established in 1663 by Portugese missionaries. Afterwards Panjora St. Anthony’s convent was founded as a monastery of Guanese Sisters. So called Catherine Bibi donated it to the Archdiocese of Dhaka. Sisters of several Congregations lived here before the coming of Holy Cross Sisters in January 1, 1931. The SMRA Sisters were sent by her founder Bishop T.J. Crowley, csc in February 11, 1941. In 1952 the Holy Cross Sisters left Panjora giving all missionary activities unto SMRA Sisters. The convent was built by the founder of SMRA Congregation. The dispensary, girls’ hostel and annex part of first floor in the west side was built by SMRA Congregation.
Apostolate : Sisters have been serving the following apostolate :
- Teaching :The school was founded in 1904 as a primary school. Later development was done by Holy Cross Sisters. In 1944 administration in the primary school was entrusted to SMRA Sisters by its founder. In 1952 the Holy Cross Sisters left Panjora giving SMRA Congregation the full charge of convent, school and dispensary. After the liberation in 1975, the girls’ primary school was shifted to Nagari and in 1976 the Junior Girls’ High School was upgraded into High School.
- Anthony’s Dispensary:The dispensary building was constructed by the Sisters by the help of donors. Archbishop helped finding the donors. Nurse Sisters take care of the pregnant mothers, sick and poor people.
- St. Anthony’s Girls’ Hostel: Panjora St. Anthony’s Girls’ Hostel was started from the beginning as an orphanage. Later on it became a hostel. Two Sisters take care of the students.
- Pastoral Ministry : Sisters give service in the parish pastoral work like : preparing the alter, liturgical service, catechesis, altar boys/girls, Shishu Mongol, YCS, Legion of Mary, PushpaSongha, family visiting according to the plan of parish priests.