The Congregation of the “Associates of Mary Queen of the Apostles” whose Latin name is “SociaeMariaeReginaeApostolorum” (SMRA) was founded in Toomilia in March 5, 1933. St. Mary’s Convent is its Mother House.
Foundation History and Development : At the outset Rev. Bishop Legrand, csc built a catechist training center in 1918. After the foundation of SMRA Congregation, the Founder of the Congregation Most Rev. Timothy John Crowley, csc made it a convent in May 19, 1934. It is the first convent and named as St. Mary’s Convent, the Mother House. In 1952 it was developed into two storied building. The original building got old gradually and became risky, therefore, in 2016 it was demolished. The Congregation constructed a three storied building. The fund was raised from some funding agencies by the recommendation of Most Rev. Cardinal Patrick D’ Rozario, csc, local donors and SMRA Congregation’s own funds.
Sisters’ Convent : At present there are 39 Sisters living in the Mother House.
Infirmary for elderly Sisters :Atpresent around 25 elderly Sisters are living Infirmary. One nurse Sister is appointed and some young girls to take care of them.
Sisters are involved in following apostolate:
- Mary’s Girls’ High School and College: The SMRA Sisters were entrusted with the responsibility of the St. Mary’s Girls’ School by its Founder Most Rev. Bishop T.J. Crowley, csc. From the beginning the school was up to class VI in the tin shed building. In 1941 it was transferred to the three storied building and developed up to class X. In 1978 SMRA Sisters bought a land at the west, built another building and in 1985 the school was transferred to new building. From that time until now the school with its property is belong to SMRA Congregation. In 2014 St. Mary’s College was started and the primary school was shifted outside. At present 6 Sisters are teaching in the High School and College.
- Mary’s Catholic Mother and Child Care Hospital: At the outset of the Congregation the Founder Father Most Rev. T. J. Crowley’s thought was full of compassion and practical. His plan was that the SMRA Sisters will be trained well in nursing study and take care of the poor and sick people, special care will be given to pregnant mother and new born child. His dream was materialized in 1945 when he established a four bed maternity in teen shed house in Toomilia. It was dynamically developed and in 20 March, 2010 it became a 10 bed Hospital. The infrastructures also developed. Now there are Indoor service, Outdoor service, Ultrasonography, and Pathology services in the hospital. The land on which new hospital developed was given by some local donors. The construction of the two storied building with annex was done with the money of the Congregation. The hospital is run by the Sisters by its own management system. At present 10 Sisters are involved in different responsibilities in the Hospital: 3 doctors, 5 nurses, 1 technologist, also 3 others Sisters serve in the hospital.
- Mary’s Kindergarten School: Founded in 2017. Now two Sisters serve the children.
- Mary’s Girls’ Hostel :It was founded long before 1933 by Holy Cross Sisters. Later the old building was demolished and a two storied hostel building was built by Most Rev. Archbishop Paulinus Costa in 2010. Two Sisters are involved in this ministry.
- Mary’s College Girls’ Hostel: It was started in 2017. Two Sisters are involved in this ministry.
- Sewing Center: Two Sisters are helping in the sewing center. Poor and school dropout girls get opportunity to earn money working in this center.
- Toomilia Girls’ Gov. Primary School: It is run by one SMRA Sister and the Government is responsible for its financial management. SMRA Congregation bought a piece of land at Chuarikhola and built the school building. Then in 2014 the primary school was shifted from the school campus to that place.
- Daripara Catholic Primary School: This school was established by the local Catholic Christian community in 1982 and was given under the authority of Toomilia Parish Priest. In 1985 SMRA Sisters were invited to run it. From that time until now two Sisters are involved.
- Chorakhola Catholic Primary School: This school was established by the help of Rev. Father Wicc, csc and the local Catholic Christian community in 1976 and was given under the authority of Toomilia Parish Priest. In 1985 SMRA Sisters were invited to run it. From that time until now two Sisters are involved.
- Pastoral Ministry :Sisters have been teaching in four schools. They are providing quality education and giving spiritual, moral formation to the students. They also take care of the hostel girls. Some Sisters give pastoral service in the parish: catechesis class, take care of altar boys/girls, YCS, PushpaSongha, Marian Songha, CCP, liturgical service in the parish. Some retired Sisters are involved in family ministry and prayer ministry.